Top Five Benefits of OODBMS over RDBMS
In almost every web and software development service, client-server applications depend on the server database. Applications using RDBMS (Relational Database Management System) and Object-Oriented Programming language for development purpose can cause "impedance mismatch" because objects have to be mapped to tables. Object Oriented Database Management System (OODBMS) is the best alternative to solve this problem. OODBMS Overview: Object Oriented Database Management Systems combine database management with object oriented programming concepts. The database management ethics include isolation, durability, consistency and atomicity and the Object-Oriented Programming concepts comprise of inheritance, encapsulation and polymorphism. The combination of these concepts allow ease in managing huge amounts of data, results in system reliability and ensures support for query languages. Thus, the above description implies that an OODBMS is a database management system as well as a complete Object-Oriented Development setting. Software development companies employ this alternative because OODBMS follows transparency when objects are accessed in the database. There are many more advantages of OODBMS as listed below:
- OODBMS completely negates "impedance mismatch": a problem always faced by a custom software development company in a Relational Database System. In RDBMS, there was enough wastage of time when objects had to be mapped with tables and vice versa. This is completely avoided with OODBMS.
- In OODBMS, data is described easily through class hierarchy.
- IN RDBMS, users have to face problems when identifying the records. They had to ensure that no two records had the same primary key. OODBMS completely avoids this aspect because of its unique OIDs.
- Since interaction between objects and database is done transparently, there is no need for a query language to access data from an Object Oriented Database Management System. But one can still use queries in OODBMS.
- In OODBMS, a large class can hold several medium-sized classes, which can hold even more medium-sized classes. This means that OODBMs has the ability to handle complex data compared to RDBMS.